The Future Of Trance In Action

The Future Of Trance In Action
Loveevolution in Oakland, California - Photography by Larry Eiring

Friday, December 30, 2011

One Amazing, Blow-The-Roof-Off Night – Dash Berlin at Ruby Skye

OK, I’ll admit it, I love Dash Berlin. When I first saw him live in March of this year, I tweeted out that Dash Berlin “was the future of trance.” I saw him play live again in October at the Lovevolution Afterparty in Oakland where he whipped a crowd of over 20,000 into full frenzy. I voted Dash Berlin as #1 in the world in the DJMag Top 100 poll (where he rose to #8 overall!) and then proclaimed him “amazing and hands-down the most energetic DJ in the genre.” When I prepared to see him live at Ruby Skye in San Francisco on December 21, I thought how could this guy top his previous performances? The answer came that night. As I stood in the mezzanine of the packed-to-the-doors club, the lights went down and the signature intro started, I realized this was going to be an amazing night. I have seen the “greats” of trance live before – Armin van Buuren, Paul van Dyk, Above and Beyond – but only one DJ has ever been able to hold a club crowd in his grasp and literally control them from start to finish. That DJ is Dash Berlin. Seeing Dash Berlin live this time went far beyond his previous awesome performances. On this night, Dash Berlin took us on a ride - a ride like no other. The closest analogy I can give is that it was like riding the one, great thrill ride at the amusement park that you just never want to get off of. His mixes, including the chart-topping “Disarm Yourself”, the emotional “Better Half Of Me”, the beautiful “This Night” and the mesmerizing “Sanctuary” blew the roof and walls off of the club. Adding in such new “classics” like DJ Shogun’s “Lotus” and Cosmic Gate’s “Be Your Sound” brought a new, fresh future-forward vibe to the dance floor. By turning down the vocals at points and allowing the crowd to sing-in is not only brilliant, but connects each of us to him and the music itself. For two solid hours, I and everyone else within the walls of Ruby Skye were in synch with every move, every note, every word of what Dash Berlin played – not just “to” us, but “with” us. It is a connection with a DJ that is not only rare, but unique in the realm of trance music today. So, I’ll say it again…Dash Berlin IS the future of trance. If you want to experience more than just hot music in a club, more than a fun night on the dance floor, make seeing Dash Berlin a priority. It is not just an event, it is a mind-blowing, beautiful and memorable journey that you will feel and relate back to for the rest of your life.

Links are to videos by Larry Eiring on my YouTube Channel.

No comments:

Post a Comment